Who we are:
Cwmni Adfywio Abergwyngregyn Regeneration Company (ARC) is a social enterprise and a Company Limited by Guarantee. The Company is run by a volunteer Board of Directors drawn from the village and other local people with close ties to Abergwyngregyn. ARC has been active in the village since 2002, promoting community welfare and sustainable community development. All profits are reinvested in the community.
What we do:
These are some of the community projects that have been undertaken by ARC since it was set up:
- Renovation of Yr Hen Felin (The Old Mill). Yr Hen Felin is a large stone building in the centre of the village. Using grant funding totalling approximately £470,000, Yr Hen Felin was purchased and renovated and it now provides a community resource which includes a meeting/function room, café and snooker club. ARC continues to manage Yr Hen Felin, which was opened in March 2006 by Mrs Betty Williams MP.
- Renovation of Ty Pwmp (The Pump House). Ty Pwmp is a small pump-house located near the entrance to the village. ARC used a grant funding of approximately £24,000 to purchase and renovate the building, which now houses a small visitor information point, heritage centre and toilet facilities for visitors to the Aber Valley.
- Development of a car park at the entrance to the village to provide free parking for visitors.
- Participation in the Princes of Gwynedd Project to improve awareness of the importance of Abergwyngregyn as the site of a court of the Welsh Princes.
- Leasing the Bontnewydd car park. This car park serves the Aber Falls and National Nature Reserve and is leased from the Snowdonia National Park Authority for a peppercorn rent. The ‘Pay and Display’ meter currently provides ARC with its main source of income.
- Operating the Forestry car park which also serves the Aber Falls and valley. This done through a management agreement with Natural Resources Wales.
For these projects, ARC was awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service in 2011.